AN EYE SINGLE TO THE GLORY OF GOD

I have loved this scripture and have thought and pondered it's meaning many times.

As an artist I have always been drawn to eyes and love the challenge they are to study and draw them. The eyes are the window to the soul. Recently, I believe I was able to understand a small part of this scripture as I had the privilege of being a part of two spiritual events in our family. To me it was a miracle of the 'eyes.' It was within the realm of the full spectrum of life that I was able to witness this. The first event was the passing of our dear Mother and Grandmother Beth Millerberg. There were many times that I visited her and she was not able to communicate very well. I was drawn into the beauty of her blue eyes that at times were as clear as a beautiful blue sky. I would look intently in them to see what she was wanting to tell me. It almost seemed that I could see the eternities through them. I was privileged to be able to be with her the last hours of her life. I remember looking at her and thinking to myself 'she looks like a teenager' How could this be with a body that was so frail and dying. I realized that I was seeing her spirit through her eyes and that spirit was stronger than her body. It was shining, singing to me of her great excitement to move on. I also felt her love for her family and her concern for them in that brief moment that I was able to say good-bye and all of this through looking in her eyes.

The second event was when I was able to see our new grand-daughter Eleonore Anne Rees (our little Ellie) for the first time as she came into this earth. On the complete opposite end of the cycle of life was this precious daughter of God sent to us from His presence. Her eyes were so full of wonder and purity and complete love and trust for her Mom and Dad and brothers. As I think of the charge to become as a little child to enter the kingdom of God, I think of these pure spirits that are being sent down and if I have ever wondered at what that means all I have to do is look into the eyes of a little child especially a newborn. It is the closest thing to heaven on the earth. I am so grateful for the blessings of life and even death and for the wonderful example that I had to see through Beth and Ellie's eyes to see the glory of God.
Beautiful Mom! I love that the top image (panorama with the orange clouds) looks like it has an eye in it. Your eye sketch is amazing too! Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Grandma and Ellie. I'm so glad you wrote these down.
ReplyDeleteI know can you believe it. I went out one night and sat on the grass and just watched the sunset with this challenge in mind and had my camera in hand. Heavenly Father has such a way of saying hello I know you and boom there was that cloud formation that looked like an eye. Thanks for picking up on that and noticing. Love you for the challenge.
Delete