Monday, February 10, 2014

Keeping the FROST-ing off our clothes

In September, I borrowed a sewing machine from my aunt with the intentions of trying it out to see if I wanted to purchase one of my own.  It sat unused in our office for a couple months, and I knew I was going to return it at Thanksgiving, so in November I decided to find a project to work on.

Nora had been wanting to help out more in the kitchen and loved to wear my apron when I had one on too, but obviously my apron was huge on her.  I decided a toddler apron was the perfect project for me to try with the sewing machine.

I found a tutorial on Pinterest, and considering I hadn't ever really sewn with a machine in over ten years, I needed step-by-step instructions.  It was pretty easy to follow and the machine was a little difficult to work with, but Jere always came to my rescue and re-threaded the machine or bobbin when it got caught. (I learned that I don't have very much patience.) After much ironing, seam-ripping, and broken needles, it turned out pretty cute:

The front with a little pocket. 


Nora got a little kitchenette for Christmas this year.  It's so cute to see her "cooking" in her apron. 





Since I was already making one, I thought: Why stop there?  I decided to make one for Nora's best friend Hannah for Christmas, too.  


I tried to get a pic of them standing together, but they were very adamant about laying on the floor instead.  

Our little chefs! 
It was a fun project, and now that I got a sewing machine for Christmas, I just need to find a new project to motivate me to take it out of the box. 


4 comments:

  1. So crazy cute!! I love that you pushed yourself to do something new and I live the fabrics you chose. Maybe baby sister will want one to match! We buy a lot of things on twos around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! Those aprons are adorable...and I love how you tied this into the theme. Creativity all around! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite line in this post: "they were adamant about laying on the floor".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! Violet needs an apron -- maybe my new project should be to learn how to sew one of these. They are lovely!

    ReplyDelete